Wednesday, February 11, 2009

intro to Around the Table series

In a small house such as ours, it is rather difficult to gather the three of us to sit down and talk. We always manage to get occupied with our own little concerns. And, it is only during mealtimes, when we are all forced to sit together, enjoy what’s on the table, and then, we can begin to talk about anything we could think of. Sometimes, the stories are funny. Sometimes, they are sad. Sometimes, the stories are replaced by lengthy homilies (delivered by the head of our family). Still, other times, we sit and eat quietly, like we are strangers to each other.

Serious family matters, either concerning us (hubby and I) or D alone, are always taken up during mealtimes --- around the dining table --- and never in the bedroom or anywhere else in the house. Seemingly, the food becomes the cushion especially when the talks are becoming rather lengthy than expected.

In our household, members are allowed to say their piece. D can ventilate his feelings, his opinions, his arguments… In the same manner, hubby and I can deliberate on the subject being discussed. We also correct each other reasonably. Kindness is expressed when your love one corrects you.

In my next posts, I’ll be writing about the things our family has talked about. I’ll be sharing our experiences, our grievances, our decisions, our stories…. in a series I will call, Around the Table.

Yup, you guessed it right, everything that is said and done around our squarish table.... ;)

No comments:

MamaJ!

My photo
I'm Jeng, a HOMEmaker by choice. Through the years, I have learned to embrace this segment of my life so well that I cannot imagine doing something else.